From May 11-21 I was one of 79 journalists, organizers, and educators who gathered in the State of Morelos in Mexico to attend the 2011 School of Authentic Journalism. The school takes a unique approach – both with content and structure – in exploring the field of journalism, particularly in its role covering social movements across the globe. The school was founded and is organized by Al Giordano, the editor of Narco News and a man who started organizing at a young age as part of the anti-nuclear power movement in the United States. Check out this interview I conducted with him in 2009. The school consisted of a mixture of plenary sessions where we got to hear seasoned journalists from a variety of mediums (video, photo, and print), contemporary organizers and veterans from nonviolent movements, and scholars of civil resistance. Below I outline an extensive overview, going through each day, of what I experienced at the school along with links to others’ reflections and articles about the participants and the school.
What is this?This is a professional resume blog that highlights different elements of my career and provides more information about the skills, passions, and interests I bring to my work.
- The 'World Wide Funk' Of Bootsy Collins flip.it/Md1PkM 3 weeks ago
- Tap into the power of our stories to spread peace. Join the "Podcasting for Peace" workshop @ 11:45am in UBOB room 226. #pjsa2017 3 weeks ago
- Bring your voice, ears, and stories to the "Podcasting for Peace" Workshop in UBOB Room 226 @ 11:45. #pjsa2017 3 weeks ago
- Join the Peace Frequency Podcast Series at the "Podcasting for Peace" Workshop @ 11:45 in UBOB Room 226 #pjsa2017 - ow.ly/k9rS30gaN3Z 3 weeks ago
- Check out the Peace Frequency interview with Matt Meyer - ow.ly/x4pu30gaOtc #pjsa2017 3 weeks ago
- Come to the "Podcasting for Peace" workshop and be inspired by the stories that drive us a peacebuilders @ 11:45 in UBOB Room 226. #pjsa2017 3 weeks ago
- Co-create an episode of the Peace Frequency podcast series at the "Podcasting for Peace" workshop @ 11:45 in UBOB room 226. #pjsa2017 3 weeks ago